Monday, April 4, 2011

Watches of the Night

Four o'clock in the morning. That's what the clock said. I know that for a fact, because I was awake at that time. Worry gripped my heart like a quarterback grips a football. It seems that in the quiet darkness of the night that problems loom larger, fears overtake us, and the enemy prowls around, making our hearts pitter and jump at normal house-settling sounds.

It's at these times that we are called to prayer. The Bible speaks of the "watches of the night." Biblical historians point out that in Old Testament times there were three watches in the which the time between sunseet and sunrise were divided, so watchmen could relieve each other from keeping a close eye to the approach of enemies. In New Testament times the watches were extended to four, probably thanks to the Romans.

Psalm 63:6 states, "On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night." The author David had his share of sleepless nights, laying awake looking in the darkness for men trying to kill him. How often do we lie awake, pondering issues and working problems around in our heads like some sort of brain clay? What to do, what to do?

"Arise, cry out in the night, as the watches of the night begin; pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord," writes the author of Lametations (2:19). Do we not wrestle with our fears like Jacob wrestled with the Lord? Will we fall lame from the wrestling? Or at least wake in the morning carrying the weight on our shoulders as the bags under our eyes?

I have found that it at times like these, instead of giving more power to the enemy by waking me up and reminding me of my shortcomings, fears, failures, unpaid bills, and my deepest, darkest screts -- I do what Jesus told every person he healed that was laying on a mat: "Get up." Instead of giving the enemy more power, I have learned that it is during the watches of the night that Jesus, my Protector and Shield Who never sleeps, wishes to have a moment of uninterrupted quiet time with me.

So, Bible in hand, I creep through the darkened house and sit in a comfortable sofa, say, "Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening...." and I pray. I pray for all the things that were keeping me awake, all my fears and worries, and more often than not, Jesus touches my need and blesses me with an answer or two or four. The biggest blessing is in the quiet time, in the still of the night, with my Lord.

Then, after deep breaths and a smile on my face, I close my Bible, creep back to bed, and sleep with the peace that passes all understanding -- all because of fellowship with Christ during the watches of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here, or email me at tmckee214@gmail.com. Thanks for reading!